Skip to main content

Super Tuesday primary, 4 municipal elections held



Municipal elections were held in four cities and towns across Tennessee to coincide with the state’s federal primaries on Super Tuesday.

Donald Trump won the Republican primary in Tennessee with 446,682 votes or 77.33% of the ballots cast. Nikki Haley trailed
with 112,914 or 19.55%. Haley announced she was suspending her campaign after Super Tuesday results were reported nationwide.

Ron DeSantis – who had already suspended his presidential campaign – won 1.38% of the vote with 7,946 votes followed by
Uncommitted Republicans, who cast 4,883 ballots or 0.85% of the vote. Other candidates who have since suspended their campaigns but still were on Tennessee’s ballots included Chris Christie (1,874 votes), Vivek Ramaswamy (1,713 votes), Ryan Binkley (722 votes), Asa Hutchinson (533 votes), and David Stuckenberg (352 votes).

Incumbent President Joe Biden was the only candidate on the state’s Democratic primary ballot and received 122,735 votes or 92.16%. The remaining 10,442 votes or 7.84% voted for uncommitted.

In addition to the federal primary races, municipal leadership were elected in Berry Hill and Rockford while referendums were held in Hendersonville and South Carthage.


Incumbent city commissioner Greg Mabey fended off challenger John Harvey in Berry Hill. Mabey received 84 votes to Harvey’s 70 votes.


Voters in Hendersonville approved a sales tax referendum to raise the city’s local share of sales tax from 9.25% to 9.75%. A total of 5,764 votes were cast in favor of the increase while 3,283 voted against.


Incumbent and current Mayor Carl Koella III fended off challenger Jim Jamison to retain his seat on the Rockford City Commission. Koella earned 162 votes to Jamison’s 29 votes.


Voters in South Carthage voted down a proposed increase of the city’s sales tax from 2% to 2.75%. A total of 106 votes were cast against the measure while 77 were for the measure